WHY ARE WE HERE?
The purpose of First Missionary Church centers in the person and work of Jesus Christ. We have been called to unite in obedience to Him and to grow in His likeness, in order to express His life in the world.
First Missionary Church is called to “disciple the nations.” We exist to help you discover the full life that Jesus offers and to equip you to reach others with His love. FMC desires to be a community where you can find spiritual healing and wholeness, where you are equipped and trained for service, and where all are encouraged to participate in meaningful ministry in the world where God has placed them.
STATEMENT OF FAITH
- We believe the Holy Scriptures are the divinely inspired and inerrant Word of God and are authoritative in all matters on which they speak including matters of faith and practice.
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons – Father, Son, and Holy Spirit – who is the Creator and Sustainer of all things.
- We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, His virgin birth, His sinless life, His atoning death on the cross, His bodily resurrection, and His ascension to the right hand of the Father.
- We believe that Jesus Christ is the only Savior of men. Men are reborn through genuine repentance and personal faith in Him.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit to indwell the believer, and to convict, teach, guide, and enable Christians to live a godly life.
- We believe that the Church is composed of believers in Jesus Christ. He is the Head and the source of its life. The Church, Christ’s body, exists to bring glory to Jesus Christ and to accomplish His purpose.
- We believe in the personal return of Jesus Christ. This is the hope of the Church and its encouragement for ministry.
- We believe in the bodily resurrection of the dead and the believer’s everlasting blessedness and joy with the Lord, while the unbeliever will encounter judgment and everlasting conscious punishment.
THE CHURCH’S PURPOSE
The church does not exist to consume, but to give. We are not to be a focus of our own resources, but an agent of mobilization in the world. We exist to continue the reconciliation work that Christ began. This perspective influences, evaluates, and justifies everything we do and how we do it. It gives meaning and direction to every function of the church, whether we are gathered or scattered.
THE ROLE OF LEADERSHIP
The role of leadership is not so much to do the ministry but to encourage others to be actively involved in ministry. Leaders seek to equip and deploy all of God’s people for ministry, based on their God- given gifts, opportunities, and passion.
THE PLACE AND FOCUS OF MINISTRY
The place of ministry is to be primarily in the world and not at the church. The church gathers in order to scatter to effectively reach people for Christ. The church may be viewed as a hospital for spiritual healing, as a training center for equipping people in practical skills and knowledge for ministry, and as an outpost in enemy territory for deploying God’s people to meet the needs of others, in Jesus’ name. This requires an environment of love, acceptance, forgiveness and accountability.
THE WORK OF MISSION
We support the sending of missionaries to overseas locations and partnering with national missionaries in the Balkan Peninsula. We partner with several local ministries in Fort Wayne as well. We encourage our members to engage in reaching their friends and neighbors for Christ through a Prayer-Care-Share lifestyle.